Monday 29 April 2013

How to cosplay: Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater)

So you saw the 'cool' scythe and you want to cosplay him.... Well here is how I did my cosplay of him.



So let us start at the top. The wig I used looked something like this:
I used gel to get it to lie in the right position and then took Flower Spray (silver and white) to give it the Soul Eater look.

For the headband I bought a white headband and using fabric paint, painted it the right colour.

The two badges on the headband were made with felt. The circle with the squiggly that looks like a mouth was drawn on by a red and black permanent marker. The blue badge that says SOUL was also done with a black marker. After doing that I decided the black did not look good enough, so with a needle and thread, I went over the black (something like embroidery).

Now... the teeth... I had a bit of trouble with that. Go to costume shop and have a look at all their available teeth. Back when I needed a pair, they only had it in silver teeth with black gums. So I used Enamel (Humbrol) to paint the teeth white and the gums pink.

 Secondly, let us look at the clothing. I used this pattern:

Simplicity 3577
Instead of cutting the front piece (of the shirt) on the fold, add extra fabric for the buttons in front, and cut 2 pieces (black) Sleeves are yellow. Remember to add the yellow soul on the chest and the back (I appliqued mine). The yellow rib-trim needed a black stripe so I added it with a fabric marker (or the sleeves and neck) Remember to add the pockets to the jacket.

The pants (also same pattern), I used a rusty coloured fabric. I had to cut a bit off on the sides to make it a bit tighter fitting. Be careful though not to cut too much or the pants will rip and you will have trouble walking.

Thirdly... the shoes. You need that cool shoes... I used these kind of shoes:


Fortunately I used a cheap make and it didn't have a name printed on the back. Using fabric paint, I firstly painted all the black parts that needed to be yellow with white (It was only the heel for me) . After everything was well covered, I took my yellow and black(acrylic / craft paint this time) and went crazy painting all the needed parts in the right colours.

This concludes the Soul Eater Evans' cosplay in the making.

As for the acting at the convention, well... remember to act cool. Hands in your pockets, the teethy grin and the smooth moving. And thanks to the fake teeth the occasional drool will happen to make your Soul even closer to the real thing.

Additional Info from me:
  • I crossplayed so I had to do the chest-binding. Remember when doing chest-binding, do not put the bandages too tight or it will hurt you and ruin your act.
  • This one got me a 2nd prize at UPCON 2010

2 comments:

  1. thank you! your instructions are really useful!

    ReplyDelete