Tuesday 19 March 2013

Attending my very first convention

As you all know, cosplaying at your first event is nerve wrecking, especially if you do not know what to expect.

So a word of advice: pick a slightly easy character that you know for a fact you can easily act like and try to complete your costume a week or 2 before the time and remember to get lots of sleep before the day! The fans do not want to see cosplayers with black rings around their eyes... unless you are cosplaying L, then by all means, do not sleep.

So my very first character I did for a convention was Kuchiki Rukia from Bleach. The S.A.M. and A.E.X. decided to do a Gotei 13 captains-group and well ... comparing my gender, bubbliness and length to Byakuya (I had the complete costume) I decided to ask a good friend to rather use my costume and be Byakuya, and I'll be Rukia.

So after half a container of gel and a bunch of pins later, exactly a week before UPCON 2009, I finished my Rukia wig. It came out pretty cool. And seeing as Rukia didn't have any extra accessories (like a scarf or headband or kenseikan, etc) I decided to do the sketch she did in the first episode, just for fun.

So UPCON came and we had lots of fun but it was a very long day: we were up at 04:00 to get ready. We got there, took tons of photos, went to Kung Fu Kitchen (where I made the mistake of drinking Sake before a competition) and then had the competition where I was applauded for my hard work in making the whole S.A.M. / A.E.X. Captains' uniforms. It was really a remarkable day!



1 comment: